Welcome to Rabbit Smarties.com! Our family-friendly publications are designed to promote the understanding and enjoyment of animals. While some of our material is suitable for any animal fan, many of our books are written specifically to help rabbit breeders find success and satisfaction with their projects. Our publications are popular resources for 4-H rabbit project members and youth studying for ARBA royalty contests. We have recently added new products and services to our catalog. Please enjoy our website and the sample activity pages we offer. If you see anything you like, or have any questions, please let us know!
What does the 2013 ARBA Queen think of our publications?
“The Rabbit Smarties book and the Youth Rabbit Project Study Guide have both
been an extraordinary help to me in studying for competitions. Rabbit
Smarties is a great fun way to learn more about rabbits. The Youth Rabbit
Project Study Guide is a very educational book filled with tips on Breed ID,
helpful illustrations, review quizzes, descriptions of each breed, and a
showmanship guide. The explanations are easy to understand and the books
are very well written. Through the helpful information in these books I was
better prepared for the ARBA Royalty contests. I won 2008 ARBA Princess and
2010 ARBA Duchess.”
-Miranda T. of Daydreamin’ Rabbitry
(Miranda also won 2011 Duchess after writing this review. AND THEN 2013 ARBA Queen! Wow! Way to go, girl!)
“My mom is the 4-H leader of our club, she has used the Rabbit Smarties book to add some fun activities to our 4-H meetings. The kids really seem to enjoy it. Then for the older kids the Breed ID Study Guide is very educational, it came in very handy for me while studying for Breed ID at 2008 Convention. Then I went on to get 4th runner-up, the very first time I’d done a Breed ID competition.” –Tiffany M. of Rustic Rabbitry
Various Blog Posts:
Rabbit Care Information
- *New* Cold-weather Rabbit Care – Bunnies can live outdoors when it’s freezing and snowing, but they need some extra protection. Here are some tips.
- Free Rabbitry Record Sheets – Download and print these forms to help you keep track of vital information in your rabbitry.
- Keeping Rabbits in Top Condition– What can you feed your bunnies to give them an extra edge on the show table? Are there some things more important than feed?
- How do you make a rabbit molt? – Tips for getting your rabbit to change its coat in time for the next show.
Rabbit Equipment Information
- Should you Buy or Build Rabbit Cages? — The breeder’s dilemma. Is it really more cost effective to build your own?
- Tips for Building Rabbit Cages — I’ve built dozens of rabbit cages myself. And here are the most important things I’ve learned.
- The Best Weapon against Rabbit Cage Trays. — There’s something that gets those cages cleaned faster than anything else. And it’s not bleach or Vanodine.
- Outdoor Hutch Rabbit Care – Learn from my experience of keeping rabbits in outside hutches. Includes a diagram.
- Rabbit Equipment for Sale – Check out our online store!
Rabbit Breeding Information
- Line is Fine – What is the purpose of line breeding? Is it really important for building a quality herd?
- Newborn Baby Rabbit Care – Can you touch newborn rabbits? How warm do they have to stay? Answers here.
Rabbit Genetics Information
- Basic Rabbit Genetics Chart – A cute pictorial showing how genes are inherited from parents. If you want to learn about rabbit genetics, start here.
- Himalayan Rabbit Genetics – A discussion of the temperature-sensitive qualities of the Himalayan/Californian rabbit color.
- Self Chinchilla Rabbit Genetics – One of our best articles, this post explains why some “black” rabbits have blue-gray eyes, and how the chinchilla gene works on normal-coated rabbits.
Rabbit Showing Information
- Starting in Show Rabbits – If you’re looking to get into raising show rabbits, stop here first. This article will point you in the right direction.
- The Rocky Syndrome – Why do some rabbits always land in second place?
- News on Rabbit Tattoos – The ARBA just passed a revision to the official Show Rules concerning ear numbers. Make sure you’re informed.
4-H and ARBA Youth Contest Study
- Tips for Rabbit Showmanship – Important guidelines for youth members competing in the popular showmanship contest.
- Royalty Contest Application Tips – Learn what the judges are looking for in an application for the Royalty, Management, or Achivement contests.
Miscellaneous Rabbit Articles
- There IS a breed called the Silver – Information about this ancient and little-known breed of rabbit. And yes, it’s ARBA recognized!
- DO NOT QUIT — Exposing the agenda of animal rights activists, and why it’s vital we fight against it.
Fun Bunny Stuff
- Bunny Nose Quiz — Can you identify the breed of rabbit, just by a photo of its nose?
- Baby Bunny Photo Shoot – Watch while two sweet baby rabbits go exploring the wide wide world.
New Rabbit Supply website just launched!
We have your rabbit supply needs covered at PremiumRabbits.com! We’ve got the essentials in cages, carriers, drop trays, cage stands, nest boxes, feeding and watering equipment, as well as valuable accessories such as EZ-mats, harnesses, cage card holders, and much more. Visit PremiumRabbits.com to see our selection.