What can a rabbit do?
At Rabbit Smarties, we believe that the Bunny is the most versatile animal on the planet. They are finely-bred show animals. They are athletes that can leap over obstacles many times their height. Some produce wool that is seven times softer and warmer than that of a sheep. As companions, they are quiet, easy to care for, and provide hours of entertainment. For the homesteader, they feed hungry children, consume your garden scraps, and are high-output fertilizer factories. For the family with school-age kids, they teach compassion, responsibility, and and the importance of hard work. The large community surrounding the rabbit hobby is filled with adults and children that quickly become fast friends and are very supportive of one another. The rabbit world is a great place to be.
What does Rabbit Smarties do?
We are here to promote the well-keeping of rabbits in all of their capacities, and help your rabbit experience begin as smoothly as possible. We offer training through books, videos, and our blog to help you avoid common mistakes and start out strong with your bunny project.
Videos from 2017 ARBA Convention, Indianapolis
Our Top Products
Our Top Articles
Rabbit Care Information
- Cold-weather Rabbit Care – Bunnies can live outdoors when it’s freezing and snowing, but they need some extra protection. Here are some tips.
- Free Rabbitry Record Sheets – Download and print these forms to help you keep track of vital information in your rabbitry.
- Keeping Rabbits in Top Condition– What can you feed your bunnies to give them an extra edge on the show table? Are there some things more important than feed?
- How do you make a rabbit molt? – Tips for getting your rabbit to change its coat in time for the next show.
Rabbit Equipment Information
- Should you Buy or Build Rabbit Cages? — The breeder’s dilemma. Is it really more cost effective to build your own?
- Tips for Building Rabbit Cages — I’ve built dozens of rabbit cages myself. And here are the most important things I’ve learned.
- The Best Weapon against Rabbit Cage Trays. — There’s something that gets those cages cleaned faster than anything else. And it’s not bleach or Vanodine.
- Outdoor Hutch Rabbit Care – Learn from my experience of keeping rabbits in outside hutches. Includes a diagram.
Rabbit Breeding Information
- Line is Fine – What is the purpose of line breeding? Is it really important for building a quality herd?
- Newborn Baby Rabbit Care – Can you touch newborn rabbits? How warm do they have to stay? Answers here.
Rabbit Genetics Information
- Basic Rabbit Genetics Chart – A cute pictorial showing how genes are inherited from parents. If you want to learn about rabbit genetics, start here.
- Himalayan Rabbit Genetics – A discussion of the temperature-sensitive qualities of the Himalayan/Californian rabbit color.
- Self Chinchilla Rabbit Genetics – One of our best articles, this post explains why some “black” rabbits have blue-gray eyes, and how the chinchilla gene works on normal-coated rabbits.
Rabbit Showing Information
- Starting in Show Rabbits – If you’re looking to get into raising show rabbits, stop here first. This article will point you in the right direction.
- The Rocky Syndrome – Why do some rabbits always land in second place?
- News on Rabbit Tattoos – The ARBA just passed a revision to the official Show Rules concerning ear numbers. Make sure you’re informed.
- 5 Things about Buying Show Rabbits I learned the Hard Way. How to not make beginner mistakes when looking to add new blood to your herd.
4-H and ARBA Youth Contest Study
- Tips for Rabbit Showmanship – Important guidelines for youth members competing in the popular showmanship contest.
- Royalty Contest Application Tips – Learn what the judges are looking for in an application for the Royalty, Management, or Achivement contests.
Miscellaneous Rabbit Articles
- There IS a breed called the Silver – Information about this ancient and little-known breed of rabbit. And yes, it’s ARBA recognized!
Fun Bunny Stuff
- Baby Bunny Photo Shoot – Watch while two sweet baby rabbits go exploring the wide wide world.